National Safety Code (NSC) Audits and New Carrier Compliance Reviews
National Safety Code Audits & New Carrier Compliance Reviews
The National Safety Code (NSC) for commercial vehicles consists of 16 individual safety standards designed to reduce the number and severity of collisions involving commercial vehicles.
In accordance with NSC Standard 15, a facility audit is designed to review a carrier's on-highway and safety management activities in considerable detail.
Alberta Transportation works with commercial carriers to review their safety and maintenance practices and outline compliance expectations. Each carrier's compliance level is monitored and carriers demonstrating compliance problems face progressive discipline.
Audits are conducted to ensure the carrier is not only retaining the proper paperwork but that they have proper policies and procedures in place to ensure their staff, drivers and units are compliant with the regulations and operating safely at all times.
The auditor examines the carrier's records and reports on demonstrated compliance with the safety standards of the National Safety Code program and its related legislation for Alberta.
The audit report provides Alberta Transportation with an understanding of the carrier's degree of compliance.
Carrier Services will issue audits to Carriers for various reasons. Random selections, too many violations on the Carrier Profile or even roadside complaints.
We have on staff two certified Third-Party Auditors with experience in conducting these audits on behalf of Alberta Transportation.
- We can conduct random audits– selected by Carrier Services at random
- We can conduct monitoring audits – selected based on the carriers R-Factor Score on the profile
- We can conduct verification audits –based on previous audit results to verify corrective actions
- We can conduct new carrier compliance reviews – as required for all new carriers within 9-12 months of applying for their SFC
- We can conduct internal audits – audits requested by the carrier to determine their overall compliance